Sunday, December 01, 2019

December!


“The quiet transition from autumn to winter is not a bad time at all. It’s a time for protecting and securing things and for making sure you’ve got in as many supplies as you can. It’s nice to gather together everything you possess as close to you as possible, to store up your warmth and your thoughts and burrow yourself into a deep hole inside, a corner of safety where you can defend what is important and precious and your very own. Then the cold and the storms and the darkness can do their worst. They can grope their way up the walls looking for a way in, but they won’t find one, everything is shut, and you sit inside, laughing in your warmth and your solitude, for you have had foresight.”
Moominvalley in November (Tove Jansson)

So, my cleaning November came to an end and I put away most of my cleaning stuff. December will be full of spices, recipes, carols, candles, spiced wine and … calming down. Yesterday I realized that it is dark already around three in the afternoon. Here little bit above the Arctic Circle, the sun rises at 1013 and sets again at 1353 (0153pm). The day indeed is short but not as short as in the northernmost parts of Finland where it rises again in January, I think it was the 18th.

We are back in our usual state of weather, it is cold, very cold or it snows, and when it snows, then it is not that cold. But that is winter at its best and how it should be. If only this winter, we would be spared from those very, very cold days and big snowstorms.

I often think about the reindeer (and other creatures too) and wonder how they manage their daily rhythm. I suppose the rhythm is dictated solely by hunger. When hungry, get up and find food and otherwise, try to find quiet spot for the rest. Most of the huge herds are scattered and now I see just small groups. The big herds stay together through the mating season, the strong males keep them together, but once that season is gone, the herds get scattered.

As always, I planned to buy myself a yarn advent calendar, but did I … no, I never do. I have a tea calendar for myself and …
I did get one for the Cat House and since this was the first time they received one, I carefully explained how they should open one door and take turns in opening… but,
I did not remember to say that only one door per day… see…
almost all the doors are open… I did not catch them early enough to stop that foolishness…

Christmas time makes a good excuse for little play… as if I ever needed one. But I do, at times I feel little bit odd to be so drawn to toy making, but I cannot help it. I have made a few new cats and you will see them soon. I will be here every day until the 24th. There will be cats, more cats and some little things in between.

Wool with you,
Lene

20 comments:

  1. Such charming creatures; I'm sure you will forgive them their overeager opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One has to, little silly cats!

      Delete
  2. YOU, Lene, are our Advent calendar, so fun to open up each day during this dark month of waning light. It is as if we have a grown-up tea party each day as we meet at the Kitties' House and open yet another door to your heart and life. And who cares if they open a couple of windows early? It is just fun to prepare and anticipate in this wonderful season of peace and tranquility and love. So happy you are blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words, xx.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad we will get to see you every day for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you don't get tired of me... but then you could always skip or day or two!! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh Iam so looking forward to daily posting. THANK YOU in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna for reading!! xx

      Delete
  5. I am so looking forward to your present to us - a whole Advent calendar of blog posts! Winter arrived all in one go last night here in southern New England. Yesterday, it had not snowed yet; last night, it snowed 9 inches and we'll get more today and tonight. I am mostly prepared - I certainly have enough yarn - but I will miss my easy walks in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so well what you mean about the walking... today when I came home from the daily trot with the dogs, I felt so exhausted because of all the snow...wish I could skip as lightly as my companions! But I push through like a heavy locomotive... sigh...

      Delete
  6. Oh I love that you are posting daily in December and I cannot wait to see the new cats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous19:53

    Of course the cats could not resist opening the doors on the advent calendar!

    Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was going to happen... they are so curious creatures!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous22:41

    What a gift we will receive from you to read a daily post! Thank you for sharing December with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your posts. And please keep playing. I think we all need to play a little more often. I love your animals - the cats and the more recent fox. They are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love having a window you share into your world. Thank you and have a great Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, xx. You too!

      Delete