Thursday, November 14, 2019

Christmas plans


 
Winter came early this year. Usually November is gray, icy and slippery, but not this year (it is not yet over, there is plenty of time for gray, icy and slippery yet!). All is white, the trees are snow coated and everything is perfect and beautiful. It has been cold too, until now… today the climate changed, the temperature is around zero, it is misty and wet. I hope this is temporary and it will get back to wintery digits. But, look at these pictures… isn’t that just wonderful.
Summer forest, in the evening, when shadows become long and the light is soft, can be quite enchanting, but so is this. Summer is the time for all the fairies, where winter is the season for all the gnomes. The twilight time, when everything turns blue, is magical.
Yesterday, while returning home along this small road, the trees were burdened with heavy snow and their branches were hanging low, and it really did feel like they were reaching out with their hands. If it had been dark already, it could have been quite scary…

I was in town today and there amongst the busyness of the people and cars rushing this way and that, the world seems to be on the move but here in the country, where there is only the stillness of the forest, wintertime seems eternal. As if I have all the time in the world to mind my business.

This is strange but I don’t have anything to show to you… I have not done much crafting… I have been cleaning and tidying instead. I know, some of you really don’t need to hear about it but let me just say, that everything had turned icky during the past months and I have been extremely l a z y  and it is about time to bring this house into a state that all your houses are in already. I don’t want you to feel bad or the pressure to clean (I know Christmas time is busy as it is, without all the extra work) and just say to yourself that she cleans so seldom, it is a good thing, she is doing it at least now…

I am not sure if I have told you this, maybe I have already, but we celebrate Christmas every two years… or every other year is very modest. I wonder if this sounds bad to you… This was my idea, I know mothers are not supposed to get tired during Christmas time, but this mother does. I love my family and love to spend time with my girls but preparing meals, getting the house into Christmas condition and keeping everything running for a few days, is a lot of work and so I asked everyone how they would feel about the every second year. Everyone was happy with the idea and this gives them room to plan different Christmases as well. They don’t always have to come up here but can do something else instead and they can build their own celebrations and traditions as well.

Also, we are all adults and there are no grandchildren to think about, so this arrangement works well for all of us, again, this might change if there would be little ones to take into consideration.
This year though will be a family Christmas again. I am very much looking forward to it, making meal plans, baking plans and this being the reason for all the cleaning I have been doing. I know, nobody expects me to clean, but it sets me into Christmas mood. I have been listening to audiobooks, polishing furniture, cleaning kitchen cabinets, washing dishes from the top shelves, arranging drawers, tossing out little odd objects that have been pushed out of sight, ironing tablecloths, making lists of things to buy for Christmas. and I have enjoyed every second of it so far. All the extra work has left me very tired in the evenings, too tired to do much else than to stretch out on the coach with the dogs and the cat. I hope I get most of the cleaning done in November so that right before Christmas, it will be quick wipe of the surfaces. In December I plan to cook and bake and enjoy the best of the season.

My hope is to get everything done a few days before Christmas and before everyone arrives. I hope there will be time for me to just sit and anticipate for the good family times and to enjoy the quiet house and to rest for a bit.

This is my plan. I hope I can make it happen.
Wool with you,
Lene

20 comments:

  1. Your snow pictures are beautiful. We have not had snow yet here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but it is colder than normal. Our son and his girlfriend/fiance like to entertain for all the holidays, so I have not cooked a holiday meal in years. I bake things and make chutneys and the like, but no huge meal preparations. Sometimes I miss it (but not the clean up). Wishing you a joyous winter-time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lene, it looks so beautiful and wintry there! I love your idea of a big Christmas every other year, it's brilliant! We've just moved from a large, 5 bedroom home into a 2 bedroom bungalow and I'm just hoping to find time to unpack before Christmas. Our daughter will host all of the holiday festivities, although my 16 month old granddaughter will be with me the morning of Christmas Eve while her parents work (I'm off that day). I'm looking forward to it! Enjoy your cleaning and the days before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you two have the best Chrstimas Eve morning ever!

      Delete
  3. I think keeping the big celebrations to every other year is an excellent idea! Why haven't I heard of anyone doing that before???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, maybe it is just me who is so lazy... the years just go so quickly these days (getting close to 60) that every other year sounds about right to me...

      Delete
  4. Enchanting forest! So much snow!!! I always hope that if there's cold and snow in your part of the world, it will soon get to us too.
    Your cleaning palooza seems the right thing to do for me too!
    Hope you get some crafting time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cleaning is off the list now, it is only the good stuff left... and for sure some crafting too!!

      Delete
  5. Spectacular photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your photos are so lovely! I hope you are able to enjoy exactly the kind of Christmas you have planned - it sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so too, with cleaning off the list, all is well!

      Delete
  7. So much snow already ....
    You're great doing all this cleaning prparations ;-)
    Wishing you a wonderful December month !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more every week! It will be April before the snow is gone! Thank you, the best of December to you too, xx.

      Delete
  8. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. I would love to see that dusk colored winter blue light. I wish you a happy Christmas. I think your every other year plan is a good one. Enjoy the preparations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I wish you the best of December too! xx

      Delete
  9. Love seeing the snow, but glad it is with you and not me. You seem to have worked out this 'Christmas' thing very well. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I will enjoy December, all the best to you too! xx

      Delete
  10. I think a gathering every other year is a fine idea! And I can almost smell the snow in your picture of the tree-lined road. Cold and quiet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cold and quiet! More and more quiet, the darker and colder it gets... Thank you Quinn for reading and commenting, so lovely to see you!

      Delete