Monday, December 02, 2019

Day 2: blanket


I tried to prepare myself well for December and for the days leading up to the celebration… but when I looked at the date in the morning, 2nd of December, I felt choked for a bit. November seems such a long month, it drags along and never seems to end, and once December begins to roll, it seems to fly by. I know this is an old habit, I have no reason to feel hurried or … choked at all, but habits don’t seem to die.
I put out most of the fairy lights in the evening and wake them up in the morning. I guess there is no need to do so, but I like to walk around and put out the lights, as if to calm down for the night and then again, in the morning light them up again. Even though there are these small electric lights, a few real candles need to be lit too. I spiced my morning coffee with cinnamon and sugar today, but… I guess, I need my early morning cup, strong and honest, no extra spices there. Tomorrow I will spice up the afternoon cup… maybe.

I wonder if you follow Kathryn of the Crafternoon Treats. She dyes and sells yarn on Etsy and has a vlog on YouTube. She mostly crochets but has been knitting more lately.

Many, many crocheters are making blankets, beautiful blankets and so varied. I was inspired to make one last winter… two, if I count the one, I made for Piisku, and never took pictures of them. Maybe I need to brush all the dog hair from them and then take pictures. My mission for the blankets was to get the sock yarn stash cleaned. Both used a lot, but there is still so much left that I need to make a new one.

I have tried many methods… hexagons, granny squares, great and small, beautiful overlay motifs, circles, … and I make one or two blocks, look at all the ends that need to be woven in plus wonder what kind of method would be best for attaching the pieces together… should I sew them with whip stitch or crochet them together… do I like the thick seam or not… and then I toss away the small beginnings and think that crocheted blankets are not for me. 

I would like to make one in one big piece, without having to figure out the seaming method. Lucy of Attic24 makes her blankets in one big piece mostly, but her colors are so beautiful, I would not like to make her lovely patterns with my leftover yarns, as my blankets would be nothing like Lucy’s radiant and wonderful blankets.

Kathryn started to crochet a blanket for herself using various sock yarn hand dyed minis. Her blanket will be happy and full of color, and she is using the same method as in log cabin quilts. You start with a square and then add logs around it, I am sure you know what I mean. I immediately fell in love with the idea, no need to be sewing small blocks together, I would use one color for one log, so there would not be that many ends to weave in.


I have quite a big box of thin (fingering weight) Pirkka all wool yarn in various colors. It is worsted spun, has beautiful color chart but I find it hard to knit with.

I am not sure why I feel that way, it is as if the yarn is little bit stiff, like it doesn’t mold very well into soft, rounded knit stitches… I have knit mittens with it, and used it double for felting projects. It felts beautifully. But, for a long time I have searched for a good project for it, one where I could use all the various colors I have.
This is the small beginning of my blanket to be. I am using a very small hook, 2,5mm and maybe I should have used 3,0mm. I first thought that I would make a log cabin cushion cover and thus picked the small hook but realized how much yarn I have and changed my goal, and I will try to make this into a blanket.

I took out all the colors I have and tried to sort them out and make a plan for the blanket, but then decided not to. I will just follow my intuition, pick whatever color feels right, and see what comes out of it. I want to use as much of the yarn I have and was afraid that if I make a plan, I will run out of certain colors and then I WOULD NEED TO BUY MORE… and that would be so much against my original plan.

I wonder if this works out… and how many logs I will get done. If I run out of steam, I could always return to my original plan and make the cushion cover instead.

Wool with you,
Lene

PS. I try to write these posts fairly quickly, so I am sure they are full of mistakes, please ignore them the best you can.

16 comments:

  1. I have always looked forward to your December one-a-day posts. And I have adopted plenty of Advent knitting projects in Ravelry. Now I realize both of these are very dear widespread traditions outside the US. I am going to incorporate this wonderful tradition in my own holiday celebrations.

    Nordic Stitches, a Norwegian vlog, has made knitted blankets using sock yarn with the only plan being make the line created by the decreases in each small block to radiate out to the edges. I think she also has a color aesthetic in mind. She has recently been crocheting a blanket as well, row after row of beautiful sock yarn in similar 3-DC/1-2 chain combination pattern. Happy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming to read! And for letting me know of the Nordic Stitches, will have to check her channel. Happy Advent to you too, xx.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your life and thoughts with us! I'm always excited to see a new post from you. Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate, xx.

      Delete
  3. A friend of mine has been making "scrappy blankets" from left-over sock yarn. Her blankets are knit and are just so colorful and fun. I am knitting a blanket for my son - bright yellow with cables. But...the yarn is very bulky and the needles are big and I can't do a lot at any one time without my fingers hurting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the downside of bulky, so heavy on the hands, but in the end, so thick and cozy blanket! xx

      Delete
  4. The beginning and end of your days sounds lovely. (And, I am a fan of a bit of cinnamon in my coffee this time of year as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Next time I go to town, I will go to a special tea and coffee shop and buy something extra special for the Advent. Will tell you if I find something nice!

      Delete
  5. I love your creativity! The cats are darling and I like the beginnings of the blanket very much.
    It takes a strong person to survive the dark of winter near the Arctic Circle. I am not sure I could handle that little amount of sun. I guess that is why I don't live there. Indiana has too little sun in the winter for my well being, but not as little as where you live.
    Looking forward to all your December posts.
    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna Marie! I am so used to this cycle of the year, I could not have it any other way and the snow helps, it is not as dark as it could be.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely bright beginning. I can see you taking this to great heights of scrappy color. Can't wait to see the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am excited with the new blanket... so far... until I pick one wrong color that will start to bother... ;-)

      Delete
  7. I love your blanket! I need to try that. I also love it when you post every day of December. It is like having my own Advent calendar. I make lots of blankets, both knit & crocheted. I can't ever finish a whole sweater, but a blanket is no problem! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra! I really love this method, could make small or big cabins... all the possibilities! Well... need to get this first one done first...

      Delete
  8. The blanket looks beautiful. Your idea of just making it without a plan is a good one for scraps. I made one blanket but it took me several years to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I am little worried to mixing the colors... but then, I enjoy it now and there is always the cushion cover option...

      Delete