Saturday, December 21, 2019

Day 21: Quiet Saturday


The sun rose at 1110 and sat already at 1316 (0116pm). It was snowy, cloudy, and warm; the temperature is -1°C. When it is this warm and there is snow fall, the snow clings to the trees and it is exceptionally beautiful. The depth of the snow is about 50cm (20”), and with this rate, before it all starts to melt away in the end of March, we will have a lot more.

It is so warm that I don’t need to keep the fire going but for just a little while but now there is lots of shoveling again. No complaints though, somehow the hurry has vanished away, and I am at a point, where I think that all will be well… and there is lots of time to get everything done.

The sun is up for only two hours, but it is not dark for 22 hours. It starts to get light around 10 and it is dark by three in the afternoon. I say dark, but if it is not cloudy, it really is not that dark because the clean snow reflects every little bit of light there is. In moonlit nights it is light.

I am not sure which I dread most, heavy snowfall or biting temperatures. Both are scary, because they both can affect the power supply… heavy snowfall can cut the power lines and very cold temperatures put such a stress to the supply. Driving is difficult in heavy snow fall but then, in freezing temperatures you need a reliable vehicle.

My favorite temperature during winter is around -8°C, it is not too cold to be outside, walking is good, because it is not slippery, if it snows, the snow is dry and light and easy to haul around…

I am sitting on the couch, the dogs near-by, Mr. Cat is most likely upstairs in his basket, the tv is on, although I don’t know what is playing, I have a cup of tea in my beautiful Peppi mug, which says:

“Var inte ängslig! Jag klarar mej alltid!”
”Don’t you worry about me. I’ll always come out on top.”

It is a good, empowering quote, don’t you think?


Wool with you,
Lene

6 comments:

  1. Thank-you for these lovely daily musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, xx.

      Delete
  2. That's a great mug! Love the quote.

    ReplyDelete