Thursday, October 17, 2019

Long, dark winter ahead


And there was snow (and there is still a little bit)! New, white, soft coating. The forest looks magical. When you step into it, it is like crossing a threshold into the fairy land. Days are short, and they become little shorter every day.
When autumn turns into winter and new snow arrives, it is a new beginning to me. This is the time to gather thoughts and settle down. Winter is such a long stretch up here, that it seems endless, and thus it seems like there is lots of time at hand. New snow covers the ground and puts all sorts of little creatures into sleep. Then on the other hand, I become aware of lots of other ones, when they leave tracks on this new snow. The lake is still free, the temperature has not yet dropped low enough to bring the ice. I just love this “new-snow-season” so very, very much. According to the weather forecast, there is more snow and cold air ahead. Further north, the temperature may drop to -20C during the night!!!
Last weekend I traveled little bit to the south, 3 hours by car to visit a Handicraft fair in Oulu. It was two days of feasting with inspiration and all things crafty. I did buy yarn with bears and foxes and wolves in mind…

It was all about toys for me. These beauties are from Louhittaren Luola. Tuulia has dyed yarn for many years and her eye for color is amazing. She dyes the most perfect blues, but this time it was these fur-coat colors for me mostly. I did buy one sweater’s quantity of silk and wool blend for a crochet sweater, but that I will show you later.
I also bought a kit to make a small Christmas tree and to make crochet mittens. I was looking for something to make during December (like an advent calendar) but did not find anything. I have been searching all sorts of patterns that I could divide into 24 parts and then pairing it with nice yarn, but so far, I have not settled into anything.

I blocked the Exploration Station and this is how it came out. I did not change my original color plan and just continued to the end. The shawl is huge, as I added two wedges to the first part of the shawl. My shawl model will come home in two weeks and hopefully I can then get pictures of both Exploration Station and Speckle and Pop shawls.
At the moment, I am almost through part two of the new mystery knitalong “Starflake” and tomorrow the third clue comes out. So far, I have enjoyed the clues and it feels like they knit up quickly, even though the shawl is already quite big.
 (He has an orange hat, because it is the moose hunting season up here and roaming in the forests without wearing orange, is dangerous. The huge pompom is pure vanity!)
But… my heart has been with the bear making. I finished my second one and made a third… there is fourth one on the way, waiting to be finished and I just love the process.

I love the flapjacks or the union suits or the rompers or the onesies they are wearing. I have some beautiful felted wool (the kind that I used for the pockets) and I would love to make a coat with that material, but somehow it seems difficult. I have made a pattern with tissue paper, but I am not sure just how I would handle the seam allowances and if the coat would need to be lined and how I would do that… or how would I do the buttonholes.

I have been drawing a fox face and that seems impossible too. I know that at some point, after much tossing and turning my thoughts, I will know how it should look. My husband made a comment and said that make a pig for Christmas! and I sighed, if only it was so easy. It never is, the body is easier, but the face, it takes so much time.
It is a long winter ahead... an endless stretch of snowy and cold days, hours to ponder on fox or wolf faces.
Wool with you, stay warm,
Lene

19 comments:

  1. The little bears are wonderful! I love their sweet knitted suits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new yarn is scrumptious. And the little bears are a work of art. I love them. Looks like you have a nice group of projects to keep you company during your long winter. Stay warm and safe. I so enjoy hearing about your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane and thank you for reading! Winter is so good for crafting, once the snow covers the grounds securely, all is calm, perfect for the indoors. xx

      Delete
  3. So glad you are writing again. The bears are adorable and I'd be interested to learn what they are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bears are quiet people, but once they gather, I am sure there will be some talk, I'll listen and share what I can.1 ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love this time of year, unlike most people.

    And those little bears are just perfection. They have their own personalities. :-)

    Oh that kitty cat - I would love to kiss the top of his/her head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I know some people can't handle the darkness, and I totally understand, but I love it! My little catman loves kisses and hugs, he does not enjoy being alone, but loves people and dogs. xx

      Delete
  5. I love your exploration station, I'm not as happy with mine as I imagined, (the colors I think) so I might make another. I have probably worn mine once :/

    Those little stuffed animals are completely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean... Stephen's shawls are sometimes little bit tricky to pick colors for and it is a surprise how they will look in the end. I have two shawls on the go and I am not sure of the colors for either of them...And they take such a long time to make. But they are so addictive too!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous18:25

    I've always thought of the start of winter a new beginning too. Though the coldest temperatures hit then and the snow can be an aggravation, it is beautiful.

    Your Exploration Station is beautiful. Once again your color choices are amazing. Can't wait to see it on your lovely model!

    Love the bears! They are all ready for a long winter's sleep in their warm clothes.

    annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie and here's to new beginnings, even with the snow and ice and freezing temps. I was so not sure of the colors while knitting it and even now think that it might look better with dark lace part in the end, but those last rows are so long, I just could not rip it...

      Delete
  7. Anonymous21:35

    Cuties! I admire your creativity. And your patience!
    Liesbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liesbeth... that is about how far my patience goes, it only covers my crafting...

      Delete
  8. I've loved reading your tales. Your 'stuffed' friends are always so 'personable'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I don't have much control over their personalities, they come with all sorts of curiosities and one just have to take them as they are... ;-)

      Delete
  9. I don't know which part of this delightful post I enjoyed most, but I laughed out loud at the "vanity" pompom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... you would not think that bears would think about their looks that much... but then again, who could resist a pompom!!

      Delete
  10. Millie23:23

    I think you should make a reclining kitty using your beautiful kitty as your inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete