Thursday, October 24, 2019

Starflake Snowflake


This was a difficult week for my Starflake Mystery KAL!
I was almost done with the third clue, when I spotted three extra stitches… They were there neatly tucked amongst the rest of the pattern stitches, they were born quite suddenly, unexpectedly, and they were so sneaky, that they were very hard to see… so hard that it was very tempting to leave them there, but alas! when I became aware of them, they had to go. Of course, I first tried to unravel just a few stitches to see if I could mask the extra yarn among the other stitches, but I was not successful, and the more I tried, the more tangled it became, until it truly was a mess. I was at the verge of crying, truly was, it was such a sad moment and such a failure. I had to take the stitches off the needles, rip almost the whole clue 3. I ripped and then put the stitches back on the needles, told myself that I don’t have to continue it ever again if I don’t want to and turned to crochet a few rows to my sweater.
After a day’s rest in the basket, I had to return to it and after much of determination, I am now back on track and ready for the final clue.
I did not follow my original plan but changed the colors. When I thought about the name of the shawl, Starflake, it became in my mind a snowflake and once I had that idea in my mind, I had to follow that path. After I watched the video on the third clue, I made a small sketch of the shawl, to see how it would look and tried to plan the colors. All the colors in my shawl are neutrals or very pale. I could have picked just two colors, and that might have been a wise choice, but I thought that I would get bored, even though it is quite impossible when knitting Westknits shawls, they just are so interesting and amazing. I had light blue in the brioche section and decided to let it stand alone there to frame the beginning star shape and thus decided to continue with beige. I am not sure if that was a good choice, but this is what is interesting here and the charm of the mystery.
I have used stash yarn and lace weights held together, as I could not buy another set of yarns for the shawl. Now I am little bit regretting of the color choice, it is so tame, it does not have any punch in there. But this is not over yet, there is one more clue to come and maybe I can add little bit color in the final one.

The final clue will come out Friday. I cannot wait! My final clue will have to wait as I am going to hop on a train and head to Helsinki tonight!!  - My dear girl, some shopping (yarn?) and then the Book Fair!

Wool with you,
Lene

8 comments:

  1. Oh boo... I hate when there needs to be unraveling! Glad you are back on track and I love your colors... but I am excited to see what you add in your final clue! Have fun in Helsinki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helsinki was great! My Starflake Snowflake is lingering in the basket...

      Delete
  2. It is lovely. You could always run fine ribbon through the eyelet rows for a dash of colour. Then if you don't like it, you can take it out again. But I think that when you block it, you will fall in love with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shawl is waiting for the final rows... I have not picked it up for a few days...

      Delete
  3. Whether you call it a snowflake or a starflake, it is lovely. Have fun with your dear girl in Helsinki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting story, I think, I would have ignored these stitches...because I would have been overwhelmed to knit practically the whole thing again...You're brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried to ignore the extra stitches but they were there staring at me once I found them...

      Delete