What a battle! Luckily the beast is finished and blocking on the bed. I am talking about Ogee Lace Skirt that I knitted with Just Bamboo (made in Turkey for Sirdar Spinning Ltd, England) with 7 mm needles.
First I made a swatch, tried all the three needle sizes 6 and 7 and 8 mm. It was very hard to know what size to pick because they all felt weirdly big, huge even, and I did not know what I was aiming for, so I sort of made a compromise and took the size in between. I blocked the swatch and it came out very drapey but maybe a bit limp also, like a rag even. Not knowing what to expect really, I trusted the pattern and set myself to knit the skirt, not for me but for my daughter. The size was a bit difficult as well. The pattern on a model seems a bit small, so I made a bit bigger size but if I had been careful I should have actually made a pattern and then should have tried it on and made the judgements on that. But it being a relatively small knit, I thought that that was too much trouble and just cast on and we’ll see what the outcome is when the beast is blocked and tried on. (I am not going to rip no matter what the outcome is, if it does not fit N, she’ll have to find someone it fits and give it away.)
There are still some ends to weave in too and I guess they have to be tacked down with sewing thread. This was not the first time I was knitting with Bamboo tape but last time around I did use a much smaller needle size and then the knitting went smoothly. One of the nice things with working with tape yarn is the fact that it does not split.
All in all, I am happy I stepped a bit outside of my comfort zone and knit something I have not done before, lace with huge needles and a wrap-around skirt. I really should do this more often, pick something out of my usual range, be it a pattern or unfamiliar yarn. It broadens the mind and feeds the creative spirit, even if it is a battle from the beginning to the end, you are bound to think different things along the way. It has raised my interest towards different yarns and made me wonder how could I make them myself.
The Lace Ribbon scarf is blocked but also needs some finishing. The weather is luckily too warm – it has been beautiful - to get nice pictures of a scarf so I have yet not been in a hurry to finish it. When the weather turns cool and overcast then the scarf pictures will be more appropriate. And as for the skirt, I am hoping N will be home next weekend and will hopefully pose a few pictures, would be nicer to take them an a recipient than on a dress form. So you will just have to wait a bit!
What’s next you might ask… I am making a swatch at the moment. This time (I say this every time) I plan to do it right. Before blogging when there seemed to be so much time for knitting and time for good preparations (no internet or ravelry to steal knitting time) and before this huge selection of easily attainable yarns came to the market, I was forced to swatch carefully, because hardly ever I found the yarn that would match the pattern. If there were button holes or any other small details that I was concerned I included them in the swatch as well. I am trying to establish that work order again. This new pattern I am thinking has buttonholes and I am going to see what will be the best way to do them. But I don't have the yarn yet (only some left overs for sampling) and I am waiting for the yarn to arrive. If I get unpatient, I do have a plan B, so no worries.
It is a lovely Sunday here. I am going to take the spinning wheel outside and enjoy the summer breeze.
I hope you are able to add some fibery goodness to your Sunday!
PS. Hi Jeanie! Good soaking was necessary to let the yarn bloom and to get rid of the factory residues, this yarn was off the cone and had not been washed. And good blocking is necessary to stretch out the lace pattern.