Monday, May 18, 2020

Arctic Spring


I am little hesitant to show you these pictures because now you all feel sorry for me…


but here they are, the scenery I look at today, May 18th, 2020.

This has been long and slow spring. The lake is still covered by ice, but I am almost holding my breath because the ice must go soon. Soon. When the ice breaks and the lake is free again, I will stay up all night, soak in the light and praise the power of the sun, and drink champagne and toast that once again, the winter is behind. 

 With binoculars I can see that there is quite a big free water area in the northern end of the lake. If the wind would pick up and blow from the north, the waves would start building in the open area, and thus the power of the moving water would start crushing the ice. But it is a calm night.

The migrating birds are here, their constant singing is uplifting. Night temperatures have been low, well below zero this past week. The day time temperatures have not been that great either; we have not gone past ten degrees Celsius yet. This is arctic spring.

I have lived through many springs up here, but I do not think that we have ever had so much snow left in late May. The floods might get difficult this year. These cold nights are particularly good as they slow the process of melting snow. Even the spots where the sun hits the snow, the snow piles seem stable. The surface of the snow softens during the day and come night; it will freeze again; the snow piles have turned into little icebergs. Where the ground is free from ice, it is wet and dead.

This willow has been standing here, close to the water always (it seems) and it is all bare yet, not a sign of life. It is as willows are, sturdy and has survived different springs and has taken manhandling from the ice a few times. One spring it was laying on the ground as the ice packed against it, but with little help, it got up again and there it stands, brave little thing, having no idea how this spring will treat her. 

I will try to record its spring this year and will report back to you how it is for her.

I was raking today for a little bit in between snow piles. Then I went to see if I could find any life in my Humulus Lupulus, and I was not disappointed, there were little violet stems just beginning to grow. They are always the first. 

Inside, I have been making little pants for the hares (more specifically the Tundra Wool Hare, close relative of the Mountain Hare, Lepus Timidus). I made five pairs in a row, making little tweaks after each pair, taking good notes. Now I will know how to knit them, even after a long time. So far, I have mostly jotted down haphazardly few words here and there and when I return to make another piece of clothing or creature, I always need to study carefully just what I did before. (I am proud of the pockets.)
And there is one little hare without a face and a tail.
I don’t think I am done knitting them yet, I mean there is only three and how many cats did I make until I had enough, I don’t know.
Do you know Julie Williams of Little Cotton Rabbits -blog? She knits all kinds of lovely creatures. 

I was searching for inspiration and I looked through her blog and patterns in Ravelry. There was one pattern that caught my eye… I would love to knit a few tiny donuts. That pattern is free.

I also have Striped Esjan on the needles.

Hope I can show you pictures of the lake next time!

Wool with you,
Lene

13 comments:

  1. Oh those little rabbit (hare) pants have to be the cutest things ever!~ I love them. And your creatures - all of them. I can never get enough. And I think a donut or two for the pockets of the pants would be perfect!!

    I enjoyed your icy/snowy May pictures (because I am not there!). The scenery is gorgeous. But I do hope your lake thaws soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lake photos are amazing! The first one took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous01:16

    Yes, I hope the lake is thawing, but your photos are lovely. Still, in May we wish for something more Spring like.

    As always, the little rabbits and their new pants are adorable!

    I am curious, are your Humulus Lupulus (hops) decorative or do you use them in beer making?

    annie in California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous22:02

    Thank you for sharing the pictures, Lene. Your lake is beautiful, although I understand that you are eagerly awaiting spring, green and sunlight!
    Cute little pants, too.

    XX Liesbeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little rabbits and all your creatures. Your Arctic Spring looks beautiful from this distance. I am sure you are longing for more sunlight and color in the landscape. Thank you for your blog. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweetheart. Hope the ice has all gone by now. We had a cold spring too, but everything is catching up now.

    Love from Ireland

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little knitted animals are so gorgeous! Those pants! The outdoor photos are spectacular. It doesn't get cold enough where I live for anything so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lake is so serene. As we struggle with high nineties here, I wish to be your neighbor! I truly love cold weather. I have missed you! Covid virus keeps us indoors, but I've stayed off the computer mostly. Your work always inspires.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lene,
    I hope you are enjoying your beautiful summer and that you are all keeping well. Your words and photographs are always inspiring, and one day I hope to visit your homeland.
    With warm wishes from Australia,
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just found you via Fruity Knitting. What a lovely blog. I look forward to reading new articles. Beautiful. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Lene,

    I hope you are doing well during this awful pandemic and have had time to make more of your bunny trousers and other wonderful items. While I'm isolating, I find I mostly read and nap, especially during the current short, rainy days. Would you consider publishing patterns for your bunnies and their wardrobes? Please?

    Best wishes for you and yours,
    Michal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous03:10

    I hope you are well and safe, Lene. I have missed your blog and I hope your Christmas preparations have been as fun and engaging for you in this difficult year as in the years when you have posted about them. Wishing you well this winter and new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous20:59

    Have you moved to a new location?? Are you still sharing your lovely things?

    ReplyDelete