Thursday, December 19, 2019

Day 19: Jul i Bullerbyn

I was in town again today, some shopping but mostly just relaxing. Went to visit my Mom and then had coffee with my good friend. Quickly popped into a grocery store on the way home and got few things but I still need to shop for food either tomorrow or Saturday. Yesterday I prepared all the beds and had a final look at the bedrooms, so that they are all in order. Little by little, everything has got done and the only things remaining are the big meals and preparations for them.

The temperature dropped way down, to -20C and I had to get the fire going first thing I got home, the house felt little bit chilly. Here I sit on the couch with a hot tea next to me and a new book.

I loved as a child and I still love Astrid Lindgren's "The six Bullerby Children" books. I borrowed them from the library over and over again and wished I could have lived in Bullerby.
I just read the chapter about Christmas. Lisa, the teller, talks about all the various chores they do (this takes place in the beginning of 1900's I think); like baking or going into the forest to get the trees, singing carols and playing. The voice is very true, if you were 8-9 years old, you would probably sound like Lisa, simple and matter of fact.
The illustrations in the book are by Ilon Wikland, and they could not be better. They transfer me right back into my childhood. I am not sure if they have been redone by some other illustrator, but I have not seen.

I loved these Bullerby children then, but if I would have to pick today my most favorite book from all of Astrid Lindgrens work, I would say that I love Karlsson on the Roof series most. They are so full of good humor that the books still make me laugh out loud. If you have little ones in your life, I would highly recommend those books.

I have to go to bed, little Piisku woke me up at four last night, she needed to go out and of course I could not catch sleep after that. I am yawning like mad.

Wool with you,
Lene

8 comments:

  1. We love Astrid Lindgren! I don't remember the Bullerby children, but we had Karlsson & the Children of Noisy Village & PIPPI! I have red hair & have dressed up as Pippi countless Hallowe'ens, both during my childhood & as an adult. I can tell you that wearing a coat hanger in your hair is not the most comfortable thing. My kids loved Pippi's crazy adventures when they were young & crazy themselves. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astrid Lindgren is the best! And so is Pippi (we call her Peppi), she could handle anything, such a powerful read for all the little girls and boys! Oh my goodness, hanger in the hair!! ;-)) (I had a red wig also!)
      (I think Bullerby Children are the same as the Children of the Noisy Village)

      Delete
  2. Ellen in Connecticut05:11

    Hi, Lene! And Merry Christmas to you and all your family. I love (in English) The Children of Noisy Village! I have one of the books, maybe about Springtime or maybe Christmas. I will go up and read it before bed. When I was a child, I wanted to live just like this, all cozy and friendly, not quite like my home, but not too different, either. Now I am making a long rag rug, like in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, and Merry Merry to you too, xx. Rag rugs are the best there is!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lene, I'm loving your Christmas posts. We are having a very quiet Christmas this year so I love the hustle and bustle of your preparations with the cats. May you have a joyful and peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, xx, a joyful and peaceful Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. German-speaking countries are huge Lindgren fans and all my Swiss children grew up with Bullerbü, Pippi, Michel (I think he‘s Emil in Swedish?), Lotta and Madita... we loved them all, the books and also the films!!
    They weren‘t very common in my English upbringing, but I discovered them after we moved to Europe and my dad enjoyed watching the naughty Michel films with me. I still like these books with the original illustrations with my grandchildren... nostalgia wins everyone over!
    (I think the title of Bullerbü in English is awful, very unappealing :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to remember this Peppi quote: "Don’t you worry about me. I’ll always come out on top." (I have a mug with that.)

      Delete