Monday, December 09, 2019

Day 9: Blanket and baking


Here I am sitting in front of the laptop; I glanced at the clock and could not believe that it is already seven in the evening. I don’t have a clue where this day has gone. Maybe because the days are so short now (1042am – 0131pm), they are gone so quickly. I was in town and since I came home, I have been pottering in the kitchen, but I have not accomplished much. I had to bake the walls again for the gingerbread house today, because I was not happy with the ones I made yesterday. I forgot one detail and I could have worked around it, but it is as in knitting, the mistake does not get better and I decided to deal with it and did not want to carry it along and battle with it with every step. (While baking, I had a helper.)
The blanket is slowly growing. I like the process, but the most interesting thing while crocheting this is, how much yarn there is left. Usually while making something, you want to stretch the yarn as much as possible, but here I am crocheting and eagerly waiting that I would run out of this color or that… I think I finished one green, but am afraid that I am going to find another little ball somewhere… I think it was the green. I can’t believe how much yarn there is in one small ball and how far it goes.
When I began, I thought that maybe I would not have enough for a good-sized blanket, but now I am afraid that there will be lots left, that I run out of my enthusiasm before I run out of yarn. But wouldn’t it be lovely to have an empty box and a big blanket to sleep under.
Then again, making these granny stitch rows, one after another, is just the right thing. I don’t have to think and plan, I have this one box of yarn to choose from, this blanket is just one utility item to add to the house, and I don’t have high expectations for it. Such a lovely low-key project.
I have cinnamon bun dough rising, I need to go and bake that and then I’ll have tea and crochet few rows.
Can you believe that there is only two weeks left?

Wool with you,
Lene

11 comments:

  1. It's been a leisurely Advent. I have seen 3 videos on baking and now I know what I will do tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did we do before the internet... I too have been watching how-to videos on Youtube, but so far have not had the courage to try myself...

      Delete
  2. You had a wonderful little helper !
    Wish you light and warmth in your short days !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, xx! Light and warmth to you too!

      Delete
  3. I love the whimsical and fairy tale-like world of your life. It is like poetry. How big are the cats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, and thank you, xx. The cats are quite small, they are maybe 6-8", 15-20cm tall, depending on the yarn and stuffing.

      Delete
  4. Your blanket seems like the perfect project for right now! Your helper...did he/she really help? Or just eat the dough? A cinnamon bun would taste delicious right NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah, he helped by tasting the dough...;-)... with hot chocolate, yummy!

      Delete
  5. Such a pretty blanket. What crochet stitch are you using? I love your little helper. I bet he is a good taste tester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I use granny stitch, groups of three double (UK treble) crochet stitches with one chain in between.

    ReplyDelete