Thursday, December 12, 2019

Day 12: Stopping for one minute


Last night I thought that ‘tomorrow’ is a good word. But right before going to bed, I decided to empty the dishwasher and tidy the kitchen, as I had left it earlier thinking ‘tomorrow’. It was already quite late, but without feeling rushed, I took out the dishtowel and dried and put away all the odd cups that had been used earlier while baking. I fetched the three-step and placed everything into their own places. As I was cleaning and arranging, I arranged my mind too. When I finally looked at the clean and tidy counters and put out the lights, I felt at peace with my world.

It was a closure, the feeling of putting a period after a long sentence. Often, I am in a hurry, my mind just rushes from one thing to another, from one project until the next… I hurriedly put stuff away, so that they just about land in the designated areas… and hardly never do I stop and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. And the accomplishment can be something as small as cleaning the kitchen.

When crafting, I usually have the next project lined up and if not, I am frustrated if I don’t know, what is my next project… I don’t want to stop because it feels like wasting time. Christmas is one of those times when I rush from one task to another; there is a long list, I tick, tick, tick the boxes, but instead of ticking and quickly trying to find out the next one to tick off, maybe I could think for one minute, what was done, and how does that feel… and then go on…

I am not sure if this thought lasts, but I thought I would share this thinking… (And of course, I have the luxury of having that minute to stop…)

We had a good walk today even with slippery roads, as it was raining in the morning. The air was full of oxygen and for a change, it was nice not having to battle with harsh, biting winds and temperatures.

With this calmness of mind, I might try to decorate the gingerbread house tonight. That area is something I am not good at and most of the time I don’t know what I am doing, but I think, I could face that task tonight. Wish me luck!

Wool with you,
Lene

9 comments:

  1. Dear Lene, Today is my birthday, and, for me, the start of the holiday season, ending with the solstice. Thank you for your thoughts today -- such a lovely gift to carry with me and keep me warm through the day, and the days to come! I wish you peace, order, and calm as you move forward! Cam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cam, xx and happy, happy birthday!!

      Delete
  2. Laughing out loud! Why is it not allowed to enjoy our lives? They are such a daily gift! Have fun with the gingerbread house. If it doesn't turn out perfect? It will be fun to eat! I simply love your "Advent" calendar for us, even the days that appear dark and gloomy and snowy and nothing seems to get done for us overachievers! Just a picture on your mugs or the tea box is fun enough for us to stop by! You are a wonderful person; I can hardly wait to meet you some day in the next life adventure when we have all eternity to KNIT! And an endless stash. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is decorated and far from perfect!! ;-)) And thank you for your kind words, xx.

      Delete
  3. If I ever manage to clean my kitchen it will not be a small accomplishment, it will be a huge achievement and I think it would merit a parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parade sounds good! I'll be marching... clean kitchen or not!!

      Delete
  4. I wish you the best of luck with the gingerbread house. I be it will be as beautiful as all of your other creations. You are so right that taking a minute to enjoy a completed task is worthwhile. I also like your meditative approach to an everyday task like tidying the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gingerbread house is far from perfect but I can't do it again... no ripping there! Next I need to glue it together... Thank you for the best wishes, very much need them! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh I bet your gingerbread house just turned out fine! This year I am not frantic or hurried. Rather I am taking the time to enjoy all that I am doing and not feel rushed. It is a nice change of pace!!

    ReplyDelete