Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Day 10: Starflake Snowflake


I finished my Snowflake Starflake (by Stephen West) already some time ago, but I did not want to show you the pictures because I think it deserves a good set of pictures (as does my Speckle and Pop and the Exploration Station as well). My shawl model was home in early November, but she was recovering from a bad flu and spent most of her vacation week wrapped in a blanket on the couch watching Netflix and I did not have a heart to ask her to get up to take pictures outside. But as time goes by, there is the possibility that it gets buried by other stuff and then I might never get to show you that it, indeed, is done.
As you know, it is almost dark or dark all the time up here, so these pictures are rubbish and it is big and beautiful shawl. Because it is so big, it is difficult to get all of her into the picture, but as this mystery knit-along was couple of months ago already, there are some beautiful pictures in Ravelry. If there is a good place amongst all the Christmas, I might get good pictures then and of course will show her to you again.
Stephen recommended to use high contrast colors to this shawl. I am thinking that I should have followed his advice, and this would be a striking one but instead this is quite calm, but it is easy to use this way. I am not sure if I will keep this myself… so far, I have kept only one of the Westknits shawls.
I love Stephen’s designs; they are usually quite big and very interesting to make. Since the very first one, the Texture time, which was 2018 mystery kal, I have learnt to use yarns and colors more freely, his way of thinking somehow freed the way I look at my stash. I was ready to give away lots of my yarns, based on the weight or the colors, but now I see, that they all have a place. I am happy I did not clean my stash then.
Making of these big shawls has taught me another thing as well. They take a long time to make, so I most likely fall out of love in the process, but then is the time for timeout. Usually, if I put something aside for a long time, I know it needs to be frogged at some point, but these shawls are different. The interesting turns and twists will draw me in again, and I will return to finish. 

This shawl was made using various old stash yarns, some were held double. I am sure the light blue is leftover from last year's mystery, it is ToshMerino light, but I don't know the color. 

I have Building Blocks shawl in the making and I am maybe ¾ done, and I know I will finish it at some point. It is red, mostly, so I am hoping to get it done soon, because this is the season for all the red knitting. When Building Blocks is off the needles, I need to pick a new one.

Wool with you (it is -22°C today, so truly necessary),
Lene

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous01:56

    Your shawl is very beautiful with the colours you have chosen. I love the calmness. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soft muted colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing us your Starflake - now I need to make one too. I have the perfect yarn in my stash.
    I love all your cats too, and tales of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your Starflake ánd the colours
    (I'm not thát fond of the colours Stephan takes most of the time !!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, xx. I know what you mean, Stephen's colors are so strong that sometimes it is difficult to see his designs in quiet tones. I, too, like milder colors!

      Delete
  5. I haven't bought a pattern in ages - haven't even been knitting! - but friends are having their first baby in the Spring, and now I am preparing to knit a blanket (they will choose), some little dresses (it's a girl!), and - maybe in the summer when I'll be thinking about NEXT Winter - I'll knit your Lilleput and Minni! I am so excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby knits are the best! You are lucky! And thank you for thinking of Minni and Lilleput. xx

      Delete
  6. To me, these quiet colours seem to enhance the patterning, in detail and as a whole, more than stronger colours would. It's restful and stimulating for the eye at the same time - very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete