The skirt was done and blocked and once again I had the cardigan on a dress form. I kept turning and turning it to look at it from all different angles to see, what should be the next step. There was not much to do any more, but the final steps, of which, the button bands were the most important.
More stability, but not too much. I took some quilting weight cotton (it is not heavy), cut my strips diagonally (fabric that is cut diagonally is very stretchy) and I hand sewed those strips to their places. I did shrink the fabric first by getting it thoroughly wet and then ironing it. The strips were quite wide and I needed to add stitching to make them act together with the cardigan fabric. I hand sewed short running stitches randomly all over the pieces. I tried to catch as little of the knitted fabric as possible, that is, I did not go through the fabric, but caught only a thin layer with the needle. The feel of the fabric is lovely. I think I will use this technique to line some of my knitted garments later. (This resembles the way the Chanel coats are lined.)
When the button bands were done, it was time to sew on the buttons. I had to follow the original button holes and I sewed my buttons on top of them. My new buttons were so huge that instead of making the button holes bigger, I sewed snaps on the wrong side. I found dark brown ones and they are not too noticeable. And snaps to the other side too.
With all this stretching and steaming the waist shaping of the cardigan was gone. I wanted to bring it back. The length of the garment is little bit odd, it should have been longer, but now the widest part of the cardigan falls onto the widest part of my body and to balance that, I added some gathers to the back piece, something to make sure, that the shaping would not be lost during wear. Also, the garment needed to have a point that would appear slender and nice and neat and would make the appearance lighter. I am not sure if I managed to do that, but that was the only way, I could think of; I crocheted 5 rows with slip stitches following the garter-stitch stitch lines with small hook and I skipped a stitch every now and then. I did skip evenly, but I cannot remember if it was every fourth or fifth that I skipped. Now there is the slight gathering above the waistline, not too noticeable but hopefully will add stability.
I am happy that so many of you have took the time to encourage me by sending comments; thank you! xx
And there is no need to worry, I have already started my next upcycling project; it is a huge, old sweater and it needs lots of work…
Hope you have a good week,
Wool with you,