Sunday, December 06, 2015

Independence Day



Happy 98th birthday Finland!
Independence day in the middle of the winter in a cold country does not invite for barbeques or any outside celebrations but there is something quite touching in a way that we all light candles (the official buildings as well) at six in the evening and those candles burn until 7 on most of the window sills and dinner tables all over the country. That habit was established in 1927 but nobody knows just from where and how this tradition came to life. Before the independence, candles were lighted in a similar manner on February 5th, birth date of our national poet Johan Ludwig Runeberg.
I love this small country in a cold eastern corner of Europe. Today is a good day to upload some of the images from the Nordic Knitting Symposium that was held in Finland 2013. These pictures are from the day we visited the museum in Korsnäs, and this unique sweater has both crochet and knitting in it and is known all over the world as Korsnäs sweater.
Wool with you,
Lene

13 comments:

  1. Priscilla in London14:00

    Dear Lene,

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for your Advent posts; these may well be my favourite Christmas gift! It's so thoughtful and generous of you to take the time to do this for all your readers, and I hope that you're relaxed enough to enjoy doing it in the midst of all your preparations. I look forward to visiting every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post today my friend.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful pictures from the symposium. I will be studying them again and again.
    I live in a Finnish settled community in southwest Washington state, where we are all Finns-for-a-day during the Finn-Am festival, every other summer. ~~Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I looking at this properly? Are these ladies all knitting the one sweater? The same row at a time?

    This looks really intriguing.

    Lovely pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyllä mä saisin muutakin kuin sukkia aikaseksi, jos olisi kaksi kaveria samalla auttamassa :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what beautiful colors and patterns! They make my whole mood soar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such intricate patterns! Those sweater-makers must be quite skilled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie01:07

    Thank you for your words and photos. I check in frequently and I am so thrilled when December comes and you post everyday!! I work a retail job which does not make me in the mood for Christmas. But your posts seem quiet and peaceful. Happy and thoughtful. The images are beautiful and so are your words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue T.02:31

    I always enjoy your posts, but this one was really special. I have seen scant mention of the Korsnas sweater - once in a book, and again in a magazine. This was a veritable feast and I could have enjoyed three times the number of pictures! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! There are really no words for how wonderful this is! Thank you so much for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Happy Independence Day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of knitting in the round like that, many hands making quick work of a sweater while we all would be chattering away, enjoying every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sweaters are stunning, so full of life.

    ReplyDelete