Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Finally: May!


More birds, more bare ground, more water on the ice! Hurray to the spring in the arctic. While I put April behind my back, I am relieved and happy, seeing the season change outside is making my mind change too.   


We have been having cold winds so the progress of the lake is not visible (for that reason only two pictures of it), but I know that this weather is slowly but steadily eating up the ice. 


I made a bag for me yesterday... 


The outcome is not that great, the lining is puckering quite badly - take my word for it - but it was such a joy to be at the sewing machine again. What is little bit frustrating is the fact that after a long break in just about any craft takes little bit of practice (and many mistakes) to feel comfortable again. Making mistakes is always frustrating, and I don't mean the ones that you make when you are trying something new, then it is understandable, but when you know better and then make them anyway, because you are not paying attention, that is what is annoying, but then --- I will not let this bother me. I am thinking of making another one, and aim to do a little better job. The pattern is the Emmaline bag by Janelle MacKay - I think I bought it from Craftsy.


After four flowers my flower fever finally broke and I am fine now - have not made any more, and I still can't decide if I really like them, I loved making them - does that make any sense? And there are so many shapes that I would like to try but then... wool flowers? And then why not?



And finally I have a good, proper, solid knit on the needles, the kind that makes one feel good and productive and the kind that makes sense. 


I cast on for my very first Winsgspan by Tri´Coterie Designs. I wrote my very first, because this feels such a great project that at the moment I am thinking of spending the rest of my life knitting only these scarves (okay, so one is not enough, I am sure).

Have a good week and wool with you,
Lene

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous20:28

    I am glad to hear that your winter "blahs" are receding. Wool flowers come in many sizes and shapes (check out Kristin Nichols of Getting Stitched on the Farm).

    Have a great Spring! Beth (whiteoak on Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag is beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol in Md00:59

    I love your bag - such bright happy colors! And as for the Wingspan .... I am leaning the same way. I can't wait to start one and can't imagine that one would ever be enough... Enjoy the knitting - I can't wait to see what yours looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flowers. They're silly and happy looking and they make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've knit two Wingspan scarves (60 stitches, offset by 13) in the past month. There are likely to be more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizzi10:52

    Your good feelings are just jumping of the page - so glad you have lost your winter blues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice bag in cheerful colours! The flowers remind me of those the children make out of crepe paper on the beach here and sell for shells...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spring bright colors and happiness is contagious. I love the bag mistakes and all it's quite cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bag is beautiful...but I LOVE the flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous04:17

    Hi Lene
    Thanks for the pictures of the lake - I'm surprised that there is still ice on it at the beginning of May.

    The colors of the bag are great!

    I really like the Wingspan pattern also. I figure that it's only a matter of time before I succumb.

    margieinmaryland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous06:13

    lene,
    As usual, your blog is delightful and inspiring and humorous and I know I've said this before!
    Yes, spring is here,too. We haven't snow anymore but, scattered rain showers. The tulips are blooming. Lots of shades of green and bright splotches of red, yellow and lavender flowers. the best of everything to you. Jeanie/Montana usa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous06:14

    lene,
    As usual, your blog is delightful and inspiring and humorous and I know I've said this before!
    Yes, spring is here,too. We haven't snow anymore but, scattered rain showers. The tulips are blooming. Lots of shades of green and bright splotches of red, yellow and lavender flowers. the best of everything to you. Jeanie/Montana usa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah20:00

    I love your fanciful flowers. Alice's Wonderland, but not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your bag is lovely and the colors are very nice,especially after a long,cold winter.
    I have Wingspan in my queue but it's looking more and more like I should cast on soon. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Lene, I found your blog from my google traffic sources and just had to see where these Emmaline Bag clicks were coming from! Glad I found you, your art is superb and I LOVE, LOVE your version of the Emmaline Bag. Your work is inspiring! Thank you for sharing your bag with your followers. I would love to see more.
    Janelle @Emmaline Bags
    www.emmalinebags.com

    ReplyDelete