Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Towards winter

I was away for the weekend visiting my two girls in the sunny and warm south Finland and came back yesterday with the morning train. Mostly I take the plane but now it was more convenient to take the train. I walked from the train station to my Mom’s to see her a bit. The reason why I am bringing this up is the fact that when I got out of the train, heavy, overcast sky greeted me grimly and the moment I placed my foot on the platform a strong, cold, nasty, ruthless wind blew at me. The kind that goes under your coat, makes your eyes water and swollen and colours them red and purple, turns your face sour no matter how good time you have just had. I pushed and pushed through the chilly turmoil bent little from the waist with bitter determination. So maybe I have been so far a bit too sentimental about the beauty of autumn and the fall colours in all, but yesterday blew away all the sugary feelings. I made tight fists of my cold hands in the (now silly) light leather gloves and faced the inevitable: the cold season. I had Fall Colours as a travelling companion last weekend and she has grown a bit, quite a bit. It was a little big to be carried around but I did not dare to start anything new. This is plain knit-only sweater and if I had cast on for a lace scarf/shawl for the trip, this might have ended in the sidetrack for a long time. There has been some changes to the plan. I thought I was making this for myself, but I am not any more. After the girls saw this, both were willing and I ended up promising it away as soon as it is done. The sleeves will be modified from my first plan. Although this is getting very big, I am not close to serious sleeve knitting yet. I did knit a few rows to the other sleeve to see the fit a bit, but then returned to the main part. This will be huge, something cosy to live in at home during the cold winter nights.

Today is a lot calmer day and not as cold either. But I had my warning and am acting accordingly. My needles are not clicking lightheartedly any more, there is a lot more serious dark beat in the sound of them.

Lene

10 comments:

  1. Oh Brrrrrrr! I'm glad you had such good times in the warmer area with your daughters. I'm not at all surprised they were both willing to receive the sweater, it's Beautiful, just love the colours you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The description of the wind was very intense - while we haven't ever experienced a wind like that in Southern California - we do get a fierce hot wind during the winter - it is so drying that if you are eating a sandwhich you can feel it withering up in your hand as you eat it. It sucks all the moisture out of your skin and causes it to crack (therefore I carry lotion with me at all times) and blows outdoor furniture down our street. By the way your sweater looks so cozy, my question is who in the world wouldn't want to receive such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall Colors has grown quickly! I'm sure it is good incentive that your girls are wanting to wear it :-)

    Perhaps a companion piece for yourself is in the future? To be knitted fireside, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous17:32

    It looks lovely! I can't wait to see how you incorporate the other colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very nice. And taking a poll on my blog I noticed that people seem to like fall as a season better than others. Maybe because knitters enjoy the colors?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous22:59

    Lovely sweater! Sounds delightful for such cold weather. In East Tennessee we are still waiting for the fall colors to arrive, but the nights are finally getting cooler, though nothing like Finland. I am not surprised both daughters would like to receive the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My oldest daughter just received my latest cardigan. Your story did sound familiar! Beautiful design and colours. I am currently studying knitting top down sweaters and your lovely photos are very appreciated illustrations to go along with what I am imagining. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous04:18

    I'm sorry it's getting cold but..I love to read about you chopping wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's lovely.

    I had to put my sweater on today - the one I hardly ever wear because it doesn't often get cold enough here. It's Alice Starmore's St Brigid and boy, was I happy I had that sweater, this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous16:48

    Beautiful colours! We have had a couple of wonderful auumn days now here in the South, and I could happily take more of them. Autumn (and summer :( ) has so far been pretty lousy.

    ReplyDelete