Wednesday, December 13, 2017

More snow and more sock talk

It was snowing for the most of the night. It started already yesterday, I sighed heavily when I went to bed. We have loads of this white stuff… the forecast for today promises more, but the snow fall won’t be quite as strong as last night. The depth of the snow is already 40cm (16”), which is a lot for this time of the year. The sun rises at 1056 and sets again 1322 (0122pm), the length of the day is only two hours… It is beginning to feel like deep winter. On the plus side, the snow is light and brightens the world, candle light looks fabulous and I have plenty around. There is no better exercise than shoveling snow. It is little bit frustrating doing it over and over… the walkway looks nice and tidy for half an hour maybe, then it is slowly being buried again. Walking the dogs can be heavy, if the plough hasn’t been out yet. I seem to be lopsided, my right calf gets sore after walking in snow, especially if I am not sure if there is ice underneath, while left one is just fine. (You probably did not need that last bit of information, but the older you get, the more you need to share your pains…)


You were wondering how can I read books while I knit socks. I can read magazines, they stay open and e-books I have in my IPad. Most library books are so worn that they stay open too, with little bit of help from something, like phone on the corner of the book. Like most of you, I cannot sit still and do nothing, watching TV is impossible without something to work on. Lately the same is happening to me while I read, I concentrate better when I knit while I read. I need pause more often due to knitting, giving time think, what I have been reading, thus the reading comes more meaningful somehow, but the books need to be good and worth pondering about. Of course, there are audiobooks, but sometimes it is nice to sit in the quiet and read, like in the evenings.

People were telling stories in the old times, before the written word. Listening to audio books keeps the same tradition alive. We have a national epic, called Kalevala. (J. R. R. Tolkien was both inspired and influenced by it.) The poems of the epic are told in rhymes, making them easier for the teller to remember. This book is something I want to have as an audio book, I have not bought it yet, but will; I think it should be heard, like it was passed on.

One more thing about my socks, I think I have mentioned this before. I always start with normal long-tail cast-on. Usually cast on 19 stitches per needle, 4 x 19 is 76 stitches, if using 2mm needles. (Sometimes I use bigger needles for the cast on row and the first purl rows, then I usually just cast on 18 sts per needle.) I purl 4 rows. This, because I hate tight edges, I just cannot live in something that puts pressure on my feet. When I start my ribbing, I decrease 4 stitches evenly, 1 stitch per needle. I knit the ribbing and purl 4 rows again, before I proceed to stockinette, this just adds a little detail, serves no other purpose. If I want to have little burst of color, I can knit these 4 rows with different color than the main sock.
You have seen these guys before, but since it is so appropriate today, they are here again! (The camera was off-focus, sorry about that!)

Wool with you,
Lene

7 comments:

  1. Ellen in Connecticut15:15

    Dear Lene in Snow,
    The reason I had to ask for the pulla recipe is because you don't have a search window on your blog. The Harlot does - if I remember one significant word from a post I want to re-read, for instance "rack", I can find it in a twinkling. But asking the whole big google-world for "lene pulla recipe commitment" doesn't find the post I want. But thank you, and many new pulla-bakers will thank you also. I will make them tomorrow morning, as I will be home alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen,
      Beatrice Ojakangas is a Finnish American cook book author, who does a lot of research into the authentic ways of making Finnish recipes, and adjusts her recipes for the ingredients and cooking methods available in the U.S. I'm a Finn living in Minnesota, and I've used Beatrice's pulla recipe for years, because the recipe straight out of Finland would not work the same here.

      Delete
    2. Even though Lene doesn't have a search window, you can use google and limit your search Lene's blog by typing your search terms and then "site:lenealve.blogspot.com"

      for example if you're looking for a pulla recipe, type:

      pulla recipe site:lenealve.blogspot.com

      the results will be every mention of those words on the blog only

      Delete
  2. Love those snowmen - did you make them? So cute. Wow! Only a couple hours of daylight and deep snow already. I think I would be hibernating...but please don't as I'm enjoying your daily posts so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the old German cast-on (maybe also called the Norwegian cast-on) that solved my sock cast-on problems. There is another flip to the long-tail that adds a nice stretch. I also use it for hats and sleeves. Also gave the Okanagan cookbook. Excellent for this time of year. Looking forward to tomorrow'so post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snowmen decorations are very sweet. We don't decorate very much. We have a small apartment w/too many things, but we still make sure to put a little heart into showing our holiday spirit. :)

    Thank you for sharing your sock starting. I like this idea of the purling at the start and between the cuff and the leg. I might give that a go, next pair.

    I love the functionality of socks. Everyone is happy with a pair of socks. I prefer them to slippers I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling snowmen. I especially like the wall hanging. Are the snowmen made of wool? felt?

    ReplyDelete