Monday, October 16, 2017

Black snow


It is around this time of the year when we usually get the first snow. I have begun to anticipate it. As much as I hate to see the light go and the shadows creeping in deeper and deeper every day, I love the new snow and the brisk air it brings along. The temperatures are going to dip below zero soon and will stay there for the good many months, possibly until April, or maybe even close to June, like this year. This was the year, when the summer was a fleeting moment, so fleeting, that I really did not catch it at all. When the temperature dips under zero and there is no snow, the time is referred as black snow winter, which I must have told you many, many times, as this blog just turned 12 years old. Some of you have been with me for all these years, thank you so much for it, thank you for the good company, and all you newer readers, I am happy to have you.
These past weeks have been insanely busy for me. Usually my life is slow pace, country life, with a good amount of outdoors and crafting, but lately I have been doing various jobs that have taken me to town and I am exhausted. I have not had time to knit, nor do much else craft related, and it always makes me feel like I lose connection to me… Many of you must share the same feeling. I need to build this cocoon of yarn and fabric and wool around me to find peace of mind. Last night, I cleaned the immediate surroundings around my knitting area, lit few candles, drank many cups of cinnamon and apple spiced tea and started a new sock. It did wonders. Today, I am going to treat myself with slow going rainy Monday, keep wool socks on my feet, take a long walk with the dogs – if the rain will stop or slow down little bit, and just keep calming down.
It is the time of the year when the reindeer are being gathered and sorted out, the new little ones are following their mamas and get ear marked so that everyone knows to whom they belong to. After they all have been gathered, they are released again to roam freely, and this means that these huge herds stay together for quite some time, roam around as groups on the nearby fields. So far, I have seen only one small herd, maybe 10 or so, but soon, I think I start to see more. It is a bit scary to have them around. Mostly because, when they see me with the dogs, or just any one walking close by, they might suddenly get moving, and I am always worried that they will charge towards the road and might cause an accident. It is not too bad now that there is no ice on the road, but when the ice comes, it is just plain dangerous. We have signs on the roads warning drivers, but most of them are ordinary signs that people are so used to seeing around, that you sort of forget that you have them. During the last couple of years, there have been additional signs about these roaming herds which I think is good. But as you can guess, walking is little bit worrisome during the fall. 
When I come from our little road to the big way, I always pause for quite some time in advance, to listen and to read the dogs’ ears to see if the herd is close by and then try to listen to the traffic noise to pick the perfect timing to come closer to the road.
Piki, our new son, had a very good bird hunting season. Here is a little video clip, where he is taking a break and having blueberries for lunch. If you are wondering what he is wearing, he has a vest and a phone attached to it. While he is hunting, my husband is following him on his phone screen and when he finds a bird, he will bark around 120 times per minute and the app alerts.
Väinö has done his share of hunting too… Here he is after Piki, but the other day he made a remark of us being happy when Piki finds a bird and not so much when he does it. He just cannot understand why.
Hopefully I will have something craft related to show you next time. But this is all for now, thank you for reading, have a good week,
And wool, as always,
Lene

12 comments:

  1. Always an exciting day for me when a new post of yours goes up! I live so far away from you and can only imagine the things you speak of. I have seen reindeer in pictures, and I have never experienced periods of winter dark. Thank you for your descriptions. And thank you for your meditations on The Crafting Self. YES: in order to be connected to me, I need to be moving my needles or my pen! All best to you, and WOOL!!! -- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read about your adventures again! I didn't realize how much I missed you (and blogging) until this popped up. Thank you for sharing your corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear from you again - and thank you for sharing your little videos of Piki and Vaino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet pictures!! I imagine Vaino is confused why it is ok for Piki to hunt birds but not Vaino. Hoping you are having a peaceful day with knitting involved. I love the term and explanation for black snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your animals always look so beautiful & sleek & happy. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your "beasts" ;-)
    (your cat looks like our blue Birma-cat .... and HA looks like a seal too, when you think away the ears in that last picture !!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to check my blogs and see that there is one of yours. Always a gentle, calming and interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angel18:49

    I am now knitting socks with the carbon knitting needles. I find they are easier for my fingers to hold while very hard to damage. For me they have worked better than wooden needles. You might want to try a set.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a pleasure to read your blog, whatever the topic. Thanks so much for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pet photos! Stay warm....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your blog entries so much. I'm glad you have continued, even on a reduced schedule. Love your little kitties, too.

    ReplyDelete

  12. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
    บุนเดสลีกา

    ReplyDelete