Monday, May 25, 2015

Beautiful Noble



We just have to drop everything and talk about this yarn:
Noble (95% Extra Fine Geelong (Merino) and 5% Cashmere) is a 3-ply yarn that I immediately knew was something I have been looking for for some time now. As you know I am always searching for yarn with body and roughness and with a thoroughly woolly feel. I rarely use superwash wools (mostly only in socks) as they sometimes feel like plastic to me and I think that the soul of the wool has been killed in the process. Noble can be washed in machine with cold program but there is no mention about superwash treatment. It has 666m/728y per 100g/3,5oz. Since I am making a crocheted cowl or scarf, I am using 2,25mm crochet hook. I maybe could have taken a bigger one, but I love small gauge. The yarn has some spinning oil in it, so I am really looking forward for the after-the-wash stage.
I am not sure if it is the color I am using or if it is the experience in my hands, but I cannot help but think that this yarn is like a good wine. This color is Cinnabar, but I have visited Holst Garn site for many times to see the different color options and there is plenty to choose from.
This would make lovely knitted items as well, but my mind is set to learn crochet, so I am sticking to crochet at the moment. Ever since picking up the hook one of my main concerns has been the thickness of the crocheted fabric. I love small gauge and light garments. I have some thin linens and cottons to try, but I have been looking for a wool that would not be as delicate as thin lace yarns but would be lighter than most of the fingering weights.
I was extremely happy to find this wool. I am sure this would also make lovely cardigans but I just got a little bit of this yarn to get the taste. I am making something to wear around my neck but there might be a cardigan in the future too.
This wool feels light, but it is not without body, like some of the lace weight or light fingering weights. It is not overly sweet but definitely there is softness in it. It behaves well, the stitches don't undo themselves easily, the stitches stay where they are supposed to. Even though this yarn has been processed and has come a long way from its maker, it still carries its origins with it. It somehow has spiciness in it. It is really difficult to put down, I could keep looping with it for hours. The yarn has both a smooth and a crisp hand feel.
Noble has sparked up my imagination. I am truly inspired. This is such a lovely yarn. Now that I know how it feels to crochet with, maybe I should start over with knitting...

Wool with you,
Lene

PS. The mitten pattern; there is no pattern, it is out of my head. The pompoms are for the cuffs. And thank you Sabine for the yarn info!

2 comments:

  1. you have such a way with words ... you make this yarn sound truly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to your review, the hunt is on for some of that lovely wool.

    ReplyDelete