Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Little handsome jacket

What a delightful knit! The only drawback was the amount of ends to weave in. The colours and the yarn were just delicious.

There was a comment pointing out that Lettuce Knit in Toronto puts these kits together - thank you for the information. The name again for the cardigan is Tulips and it is published by Dream in Color Yarn and the designer is Lindsay Pekny. The yarn is worsted superwash merino called "Classy".

There were few modifications:

The edges are not finished with i-cord like in the pattern but I knit three rows of stockinette and then bound off very loosely knitwise.

I sometimes have difficulties to pick up stitches neatly, and the thicker the yarn, the trickier it gets. Although it worked out here quite well, if I were to do this again (I might), I would definitely cast on using provisional cast on for the whole neck circumference and then do short rows for the shaping of the neck. Now I only did provisional for part of the neck and then increased for the fronts the way it tells in the pattern.

As I already mentioned earlier I increased using the method that EZ tells in one of her books or so I thought. Someone mentioned "Knitting without tears" in the comments and I checked the book but did not find it there . So I first made a backward loop and then twisted that loop and the hole is very small and it does not distort the other stitches. I don't know now from where this little trick comes from but I'm sure I have picked it up from somewhere. Sorry that I was misleading.

Now I'm back to Nocturne. The body has only a couple of rows left and then I will have to make up my mind about the sleeves... And really after knitting Tulips with 4 mm needles, going back to my favorite size 3 mm and even smaller for the ribbing feels so good and so right.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely colours, Lene, and clearly a good break for you from your work on bigger pieces. Your rabbits appear to be saying "Hurray!" and your readers will join in their applause, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, a handsome little jacket. In Elizabeth Zimmermann's 'Knitter's Almanac' for the February little sweater she uses the reverse loop method of making another stitch. I like it and do not find it and do not find it leaves much of a hole.
    Did you make those dear little rabbits, Lene?
    Also, the little 'cradle' that the sweater is resting in - was that used by your girls when they were little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous22:37

    Fantastic, really lovely colors! I'm truly amazed by your knitting and will eagerly follow your progress on Norcturne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous22:50

    I love that little sweater and the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous01:20

    I think you could very easily write and illustrate a book, Lene. Your artistic eye, drawings, even photographs are simply lovely. Perhaps storeies woven around your wee knitted creatures and the land they inhabit.
    Your sweater in its setting is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beauty of a jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying hard to resist that little jacket. I am currently trying my hand at the Baby Surprise jacket using instructions in The Opinionated Knitter - EZ makes a special note about increasing using the reverse loop in both the baby size and the adult size. There is wonderful overlap in all her books so who can tell where you first read about this increase -

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is the cutest little baby jacket. Every time I see one, I feel a desire to make it. I don't know anyone who is even thinking of being pregnant at this point. Maybe I'll have to wait until I have grandchidren for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the baby jacket. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a handsome little jacket - definitely an heirloom piece. I love the color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color is so unusal and makes a very handsome baby jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous00:08

    I am admiring everything on your post today--the sweater, the rabbits, the cradle and the lovely quilt. And I agree with scottlyn. You could write and illustrate a book, filled with your thoughts, your knitting, little handcrafted creatures, and photos. I already have a place for it, on my bedside table!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The jacket truly is handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous20:37

    Hi,
    Can you please give me the name of the store from which you purchased your pattern? I have looked at the online sources for Dream In Colour and none of them offer just the pattern. You can email me at bjhf@golden.net Thanks. Friends have offered to let me copy their pattern, but I feel copying is unfair to the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good baby knit that isn't saccharine- it's so nice! Mind if I link to it?

    ReplyDelete